Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thing #5: Microblogging

I am a member of Facebook and have been for the past year. I've found it to be a great way to reconnect with old friends and have found some former teachers as well. I love how groups can be formed about any common goal or interest. I made one for my classmates so when it's time to plan a reunion we will have a place where we are all in one place.

I've heard about Twitter and its growing popularity but haven't really been interested until reading some of the material presented in this lesson. I didn't realize all it's uses as far as following businesses, educational news, celebrities, or current events.

I like the idea of using back-channeling to get the listeners active and participating during lectures or conferences. Some people learn better by being able to be interactive, and this would be a new teaching tool to get learners involved rather than only listening.

Students are using these and I feel they will continue to in the future. Teachers need to be aware and find ways to use these in the classroom. It will get students interested, and the teacher will establish a connection with the students that would otherwise not happen.

1 comment:

Teacher Mommy said...

It is easy to leave comments for other bloggers.